Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Any Man of Mine by Rachel Gibson


Title:   Any Man of Mine
Author: Rachel Gibson
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Chinooks #6
Main Characters: Autumn Haven & Sam LeClaire
Release Date: April 2011
ISBN0061579114 or 
978-0061579110 
Publisher: Avon
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
What happens in Vegas . . . doesn't always stay there.
Autumn Haven's Las Vegas "to-do" list said to catch a show and play the slots—not wake up married to a sexy jerk like Sam LeClaire. The first moment she saw him eyeing her like a luscious piece of the dessert buffet, her usually responsible self told her to run. And she did—right into the wildest fantasy weekend of her life. But Monday morning jolted her back to reality, and before she could say "pass the coffee," Sam was gone.
Now a successful wedding planner, Autumn hasn't clapped eyes on the heartbreaking hockey superstar for over two years . . . until she organizes his teammate's "Special Day," where Sam makes a big play to pick up where he left off! But she has vowed any man of hers plays for keeps. Is Sam the man for her or does she banish him to the sin bin forever?

My Review:
One-third of the way into this book and I still wasn't sure that I was going to be able to like this book because I was finding the hero, Sam, to be such a jerk. BUT I changed my mind...big time, and fell in love with him and this book. I absolutely did NOT want to like him or forgive him for his actions. The problem is, that's what makes this book a worthwhile read. 

Sam is a JERK with a capital "J". Autumn absolutely knows that and Sam knows it too...the thing that's sad is that he doesn't really care that he's a jerk. But somewhere along the way, that starts to change and he becomes sweet and honest and upfront and I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to ruin that transition for you as you read this book. It is that transition of feelings that makes this such a fun read. To take such a contemptible character and make him lovable is nothing short of miraculous. Bravo, Rachel Gibson!

I always love these hockey books (and sadly this is R. Gibson's last planned one, but the good news is that she is moving into military guys...) because of the insight that it gives into the sport. This one was fun because Sam is a violent guy in the rink, but he has a 5 yo son that doesn't quite understand that there is a difference between hitting a guy during a sport vs. in real life. It was interesting to watch Autumn handle that as a mother trying to raise a pacifist son.

You get to see a lot of the characters from the past books in this one, although you absolutely do NOT have to have read those past books to enjoy this one. Overall, this was a fun, sweet little read...the perfect Sunday night pastime.

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I haven't read Rachel Gibson (I know you are shocked LOL---promise to brush up on my contemporary romance)!

I don't like the cover much (which is why I stay away from some cont. romance books) but the story sounds interesting. I will have to look up what the first book is and add it to my TBR!

Julie said...

One-third of the way into this book and I still wasn't sure that I was going to be able to like this book because I was finding the hero, Sam, to be such a jerk. BUT I changed my mind...big time Totally agree!!! Nice review. And I didn't know this was her last planned book in this series. Thanks for the bit of info! :)

Christi Snow said...

Felicia- I think that the earlier ones in this series were better than this one, but I really LOVE the sports themed story lines. Rachel Gibson convinced me to become a part-time hockey fan! Hehe!

Thanks Julie! smiles....