Friday, April 22, 2011

Saddled and Spurred by Lorelei James




Title:  Saddled and Spurred
Author: Lorelei James
My Rating: A-



Genre: Erotic romance
Series: Blacktop Cowboys #2
Main Characters: Bran Turner & Harper Masterson
Release Date: March 2011
ISBN978-0451232243 or 
0451232240


Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $8.97
Borders- $14.00
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:

This beauty is no greenhorn-and she's about to rope the man of her dreams.

Cattleman Bran Turner is left shorthanded during busy calving season when a bull tramples his hired hand. Rural Wyoming isn't exactly a hotbed of qualified candidates, and the only applicant for the position is the pampered town beauty, Harper Masterson. The curvy cowgirl gets under Bran's skin at every turn, but with no other options, he reluctantly hires her.

When sexual sparks ignite, down-on-her-luck Harper enjoys convincing Bran that not only is she capable of pulling calves, feeding livestock, and handling backbreaking ranch chores, but she doesn't mind getting down and dirty, either. Harper also discovers the hot-bodied cowboy isn't all work and no horseplay...and he's got more than a few tricks up his sleeve.

Bran will learn quickly that Harper is no country mouse-and that she might just have what it takes to stick around for the long haul.


My Review:
What a fabulous book! I have never read any of Lorelei James' books, but, being from ranch country in Texas, the cowboy theme to this one appealed to me. It did not disappoint. This was a great book and I think that I am hooked on another new series.

What I liked about this book:
*Harper has taken a lot of hard knocks, but she doesn't wallow. She has grit and determination. She's not scared to get out of her comfort zone to do what needs to be done. She's a former beauty queen and current nail technician, but doesn't think twice about digging in and getting her hands dirty on the ranch.

*Bran is a quiet, unassuming, sexy cowboy. He's secretly really well-off, but hasn't told anyone. He's always been attracted to Harper, but doesn't think that the former beauty queen would ever be the girl for him. He's hiding a secret inner-Dom.

*loved the small town setting to this. It gives a great homey feel to the novel.

*Loved that Harper would spend the day doing the grunge work on the ranch, then go home and get dolled up to spend a couple hours working as a nail tech. She did it, not because she needed the money after getting her ranch job, but out of loyalty to the first person that gave her a job.

*loved the cast of characters and all the sub-plots that you can already see building. This is going to be a great series of books built around this quaint little Wyoming community.

*the love scenes were scorching hot! Really good writing here with amazing scenes. These two have a good time in bed (and on the table, and in the horse trailer, and in the kitchen, and in the shower, etc) and it is definitely fun, erotic reading!

*two words- fainting goats!

What I didn't like:
*NOTHING- unless you count Les (the ranch hand that Harper is temporarily replacing), but you are not supposed to like him- he's a jackass!

I cannot wait to read more of this series!!!

4 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I was waiting on someone to review this that I knew so I could tell if it was my next "foray" into cowboy romance! I think it might be :)

Christi Snow said...

I think that you will like it, Felicia. It's really HOT and has a great small-town cast of characters that I really liked. I need to go find book #1...

Cassie said...

If you haven't read anything else by Lorlei James you should! I love her! She is awesome! Rough Riders Series is amazing! Ive read everything I can find that she has wrote! I loved Saddled and Spurred too! Corralled was equally amazing!

Christi Snow said...

ooh, that is good to know, Cassie! I have a couple of her other books on my Kindle...there just aren't enough hours in the day to read all the good books that I want to read. ;o)