Thursday, April 21, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James



Title:   Practice Makes Perfect
Author: Julie James
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Payton Kendall & JD Jameson
Release Date: March 2009
ISBN978-0425226742 or 
0425226743
Publisher: Berkley Sensation- Contemporary Romance
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
When it comes to the laws of attraction, there are no rules The battle between the sexes is about to make these two lawyers hot under the collar. Opposites collide when two lawyers try to make partner at the same firm. Payton Kendall is a feminist to the bone. Cocky J.D. Jameson was born privileged. But when they're asked to join forces on a major case, they gain a newfound awareness of each other's personal assets. The partnership spot will be offered to only one of them, though. The competition heats up. Sparks fly. Let the games begin.


My Review:
You all know at this point that I read a lot and quite honestly, I like a lot of what I read. But I think that, right now, Julie James is the most talented author out there writing. Unfortunately for us, she has only written 4 books so far. This was the last book of hers that I had to read (my reviews of her other books can be seen HERE, HERE, and HERE), so I have been saving it knowing that it would be good. It totally lived up to expectations!

I loved both JD and Payton. JD is from old money. Daddy is a judge with very high expectations for JD, but always expects JD to let him down and is very vocal about that. JD has worked hard on his own to get where he is at and is extremely driven and competitive. On the other hand, Payton grew up with a hippie-dippy mother who is disappointed in Payton and what she sees as her downfall into corporate America. The more money she makes and the more successful she becomes, means that she looks all that much worse to her mother's eyes. Not good for this also very driven and competitive lawyer.

For 8 years, JD & Payton have not gotten along. They maintain a cordial relationship on the surface, but in private, the claws and legal-ease comes out. Now they are both up for a single partnership position- the one who doesn't get it will love their job. With offices right across from each other and them being thrown together on a high profile case, tensions for both of them are at an all-time high and you know what happens when emotions run high- sparks are going to fly!

This book is so well written. Honestly, I cannot think of a single flaw to the book or story line. Both of these characters are top-notch lawyers. Their dialogue is snappy, smart, quick, and so funny. I could read dialogue like this all day long- it is so fun to read! They both have moments throughout the book where they let the stress of the situation get the better of them and say or do things that they shouldn't. I like that when that happened, they admitted they were wrong even if it meant a huge blow to their pride.

The book flowed perfectly. I read it in one sitting simply because I could not put it down. The conflict resolutions was absolutely perfect as well as every step along the way to get there. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

If you only read one book this year, you need to make sure that it's a Julie James novel!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Loved this book. LOVED! I also have a huge crush on any book Julie James writes. I recommend her often too. Great review!

Christi Snow said...

Thanks Julie! Julie James' books really are incredible. I love finding other people that love her stuff as much as I do! smiles...

The Book Vixen said...

I love this author's writing! She's a new to me author so I've only read two of her books so far. I have the other two on my shelf :)