Saturday, April 16, 2011

My One & Only by Kristan Higgins



Title: My One and Only
Author: Kristan Higgins
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Harper James & Nick 
Release Date: March 2011
ISBN978-0373775576 or 
 0373775571
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: mild - spicy


Story Overview:


Divorce attorney Harper James can't catch a break. Bad enough that she runs into her ex-hubby, Nick, at her sister's destination wedding, but now, by a cruel twist of fate, she's being forced to make a cross-country road trip with him. And her almost-fiancé back at home is not likely to be sympathetic.

Harper can't help that Nick has come blazing back into her life in all of his frustratingly appealing, gorgeous architect glory. But in Nick's eyes, Harper's always been the one. If they can only get it right this time, forever might be waiting—just around the bend.

My Review:
Harper James doesn't know how to trust love. Her mother left her suddenly on her 13th birthday with a father who was extremely withdrawn and emotionally vacant. She loved Nick with all her heart when they got married, but she wasn't ready for the commitment of that marriage, and she didn't know how to tell him that without losing him. She was scared, scarred, and too emotionally crippled to save the marriage that fell apart within the first 6 months after being thrown into a strange city (NYC) with a new husband that was working 16-18 hour days, 7 days/week.


Now Harper is a successful divorce attorney and, if possible, even more jaded and disenchanted about love than she was when she and Nick were married. Watching her and her version of pre-marriage counciling is hilarious esp. as there is always someone trying to drag her away from the poor couple that she is trying to council about the error of their ways...LOL!

Nick and Harper haven't seen each other since their marriage fell apart, but it is quickly obvious that neither one ever got over their emotions for each other. They love each other desperately, but they have both been incredibly hurt by that love. That hurt causes them to lash out at the same time they are fighting their incredible draw to one another.

I sat down to read this book late one night...BIG MISTAKE, as I then could not put it down to go to bed. I read a LOT of good books late at night, but I haven't HAD to stay up and finish a book in a couple of years....so that is a VERY good sign about the quality of this book.


I found this book to be a bit different from Kristan's normal writing style. There still is that wonderful wit that you find in the internal dialogue of the heroine, but this book featured a lot of flashbacks. Usually flashbacks thrown into the middle of the storyline drive me crazy...I don't have the patience for them. But these were brilliantly and seamlessly done! A superb bit of writing there.


It's a great book. I really connected with the characters, although at times, I really was unhappy with both of them. But that is what makes them human and so well-written. They have made mistakes. You are pulling for both of them throughout the entire book to rectify those mistakes in the right way because there is no denying that they belong together.


One of the reasons that this book is so heart-warming and touching...just read this quote from Nick:
You asked why I couldn’t forgive you,” Nick said, very quietly, and I jumped a little. 
“It was because you were the love of my life, Harper. And you didn’t want to be. That’s hard to let go.” 


Another great book by Kristan Higgins (who also gets bonus points for some funny and super-creative cursing in this one!)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I so agree...I was torn with this one because Harper and Nick both made me mad, both so blinded by their own issues and securities, but in the end it was what made them more real to me. Loved it!