Thursday, April 28, 2011

Midnight Awakening by Lara Adrian


Title:   Midnight Awakening
Author: Lara Adrian
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Midnight Breeds #3
Main Characters: Elise Chase & Tegan
Release Date: September 2010
ISBN978-0553589399 or 
0553589393
Publisher: Random House
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
With a dagger in her hand and vengeance on her mind, Darkhaven beauty Elise Chase prowls Boston’s streets in search of retribution against the Rogue vampires who took from her everything she cherished. Using an extraordinary psychic gift, she tracks her prey, well aware that the power she possesses is destroying her. She must learn to harness this gift, and for that she can turn to only one man—the deadliest of the Breed warriors, Tegan.

No stranger to loss, Tegan knows Elise’s pain. He knows fury, but when he slays his enemies it is with ice in his veins. He is perfect in his self-control, until Elise seeks his aid in her personal war. An unholy alliance is forged—a bond that will link them by blood and vow—and plunge them into a tempest of danger, desire, and the darkest passions of the heart. . . .

My Review:
This is a powerful book about 2 people that have both known indescribable grief and pain. Because of that, I found this book to be incredibly riveting and heartfelt. I loved watching Tegan and Elise connect. I loved the power of their love and connection. It pulled me into the story completely.

Tegan is a Gen One Breed. He is hard, ruthless, tough, and cold. His Breedmate was murdered after being tortured and raped over 500 years ago. At that time, he was almost lost to bloodlust through his grief. He was only able to get through by learning to shut off his emotions completely.

Elise knows about loss too. Her Breedmate was killed 5 years ago and then 4 months ago, her teenage son was turned Rogue by an overdose of Crimson and subsequently killed.

I'll be honest, I have been dying to read Tegan's book, but was so disappointed to see that he was being paired up with Elise. The glimpses of her prior to this book painted her as a genteel, quiet, prim-and-proper woman. I am so glad that I was wrong in my impressions of her. She is the perfect match for Tegan. In the 4 months since her son died, she has been going after minions trying to do her part for revenge entirely on her own. As a result, she quickly gets in over her head and Tegan takes it upon himself to protect her. Protection quickly becomes partnership and the relationship begins. (Have I mentioned that I LOVE this book?!? OMG, it's so good!) 

Tegan intimidates everyone, but Elise has nothing left to lose, so she doesn't let him steamroll over her. She's just as stubborn as he is intimidating and they learn to respect each other as a result.

This is definitely my favorite in the series so far. They just keep getting better and better which is saying a lot since they have ALL been good since book #1. I love this series!

3 comments:

Amanda (On a Book Bender) said...

This series is on my to be read list!

Julie said...

Tegan intimidates everyone, but Elise has nothing left to lose, so she doesn't let him steamroll over her. She's just as stubborn as he is intimidating and they learn to respect each other as a result. Very well put. I loved this book too. I think they are a great match!

Christi Snow said...

It's good Amanda!!

What's your favorite book in the series, Julie? Do you remember?
smiles....