Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lover Unleashed by JR Ward



Title: Lover Unleashed
Author: JR Ward
My Rating: A

Genre: Paranormal Suspense
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #9
Main Characters: Manny Manello & Payne; Vishous & Jane
Release Date: March 2011 
ISBN 978-0451233165 or 
  0451233166
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $15.36
Borders- $15.22
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:

#1 New York Times bestselling author J.R. Ward's thrilling new novel in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, seductive cloth as her brother. Imprisoned for eons by their mother, the Scribe Virgin, she finally frees herself-only to face a devastating injury. Manuel Manello, M.D., is drafted by the Brotherhood to save her as only he can-but when the human surgeon and the vampire warrior meet, their two worlds collide in the face of their undeniable passion. With so much working against them, can love prove stronger than the birthright and the biology that separates them?


My Review:
I have always liked novels where the hero is wounded in some way. You don't get more wounded than Vishous. Lover Unbound, V & Jane's story, has always been a favorite of mine from the BDB series. When it came time for this novel, I knew that Vishous and Jane played heavily in it, so I pulled out my old copy of Lover Unbound and re-read it. I am so glad that I did because I think that it helped a lot to have V & Jane's story fresh on my mind. Lover Unleashed is easily 1/2 a continuation of their story.

To say that V is mentally and physically scarred from his childhood and upbringing is putting it mildly. When his twin sister Payne shows up in his life after his not even knowing about her for over 300 years, paralyzed, and suicidal...it's understandable that this would send him into a tailspin. And what a tailspin it is....V doesn't do anything halfway. These scenes with Vishous alone, and with Jane, and with Butch are some of the most heart-wrenching that I think that I have ever read. OMG, JR Ward does an amazing job writing all of these so incredibly perfect...just OMG! These scenes are HOT and soooo emotional. If you have read Lover Unbound, then you know how V deals with things. In this book, everything goes there and so much further, but with heart. They are really gorgeously written scenes!

The other half of the book is Payne & Manny's story. Payne is paralyzed after sparring with Wrath, so Jane goes and pulls Manny into the story by getting him to perform surgery on Payne. I really liked almost everything about how JR Ward wrote this story line. I have always liked Manny ever since he was in Lover Unbound. He was not a letdown in this book, and I loved the glimpses of his life after Jane died. He has definitely been floundering and he needs Payne in his life as much as Payne needs him. He is a strong character and I really like how he fits right into the brotherhood, esp. with Butch and V...even when V is seriously close to killing him. It's a great group dynamic. There is a huge shocker with his storyline at the end that I totally did not see coming, but OMG...I loved it!

Payne was probably my only slight issue that I had with the book, and that mainly is because she is such a dichotomy of personality. On the one hand, she is a serious warrior with the matching incredible fighting skills and internal strength. On the other hand, she has been imprisoned by her mother for the majority of her life so she has really been pretty sheltered from the ways of the world. I just found those two sides a little hard to swallow as a whole person who was tough, but still pretty naive about everything which made her seem almost weak. I just found her naivety to be a bit grinding at times.

There are lots of new characters introduced in this novel...
**the Bastard Brothers led by XCor who wants the kingship from Wrath. I am really excited about this group. I can see where this story line may lead and I think that we are really going to like it and eventually really like these new warriors too. 
**I am also intrigued by Veck, the new cop that took Butch's spot as de la Cruz's partner. Talk about a tough dude and there is a LOT of story there. I hear that he is going to be the main character of the third Fallen Angels book which makes me think that I need to go grab book #2 of that series out of my TBR pile right NOW!

Overall, I can easily say that I loved this book. There are scenes in it which are absolutely haunting and I know that it's going to stay with me a good long while.

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Yep that is the rumor about Veck though it would make perfect sense!

Tohr's book is next! YEAH!

Great Review :)

I think XCor and his merry men are going to be a great addition to the story! Plus, I am like you I can guess where it is going and I am going to like them too. I actually already kind of like his 2nd in command, he has a strong sense of honor (you can just tell)!