Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Get Lucky by Lorie O'Clare



Title:   Get Lucky
Author: Lorie O'Clare
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Suspense
Series: Bounty Hunters #2
Main Characters: Marc King & London Brooke
Release Date: March 2011
ISBN978-0312372163 or 
 0312372167
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperback- Romantic Suspense
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:

In the high-risk game of bounty-hunting, one man will raise the stakes—and turn up the heat—higher than ever…

WHEN STRANGERS BECOME LOVERS
Checking into a Colorado ski lodge for some serious downtime, bounty hunter Marc King wants nothing more than to cool off and chill out. But then he meets London Brooke. She’s one of the hottest women Marc’s ever met, and the sparks between them could melt the Rockies. But this beautiful, intelligent, and beguiling stranger is hiding a secret from Marc that could get them both killed…

DESIRE CAN TURN DEADLY 
London knows she can trust a man like Marc. But how can she tell him about the mysterious package she receives—and the photos that threaten to expose her past? With time running out, London has no choice but to draw Marc into a dangerous world of blackmail and revenge. As a professional, Marc can’t refuse her. As a man, he can’t resist her. But the deeper he falls, the deadlier the game. And if he doesn’t play his cards right, he could lose London forever…


My Review:
I didn't know what to expect from this book. I picked it up on a whim and it's from an author that I have never read before, but I was pleasantly surprised...it was a fun, suspenseful read. It kept my attention and I actually had a hard time falling asleep because I was so into the book although it was super-late.

This is number 2 in the Bounty Hunters series. The suspense story line appears to be the real connecting thread throughout the series. I haven't read #1 (and honestly still have NO IDEA who is even in the first book as the hero/heroine) so I personally don't feel that you need to have read that book to enjoy this one.

The first half of the book is all about the romance. Marc is in Aspen getting some rest and recuperating from a long year working at his family's bounty hunting firm. London works in the hotel that he is staying at and, after she rescues him from a snowbank, their relationship starts to develop. What starts out as a one-night stand quickly develops into much more as the characters are drawn more and more to each other.

London's parents are criminals. She hasn't heard from them for years, but all of a sudden she starts to receive envelopes full of mysterious photos of them and vague threats. She really doesn't want to know what her parents have gotten themselves into so, for the most part, she ignores the mysterious packages. At the same time, unknown to Marc, his family is getting similar packages. He doesn't know about London's packages and finds out too late about his family's packages.

That gets you to the second half of the book which is all about the suspense. The suspense story line in this is good if you can get past the believability of it all...I chose to. ;o) For this part of the story line, Marc and London are working apart which is good for London to learn just how tough she is, and this ultimately leads to her accepting her relationship with Marc. I will stop discussing the details there because I don't want to spoil anything about the story/suspense.

This was a good book. I really liked Marc & London, although I didn't like that neither one of them was upfront about who/what they are and what is happening, but that is the impetus for the story so I guess that I can forgive that. There were some minor issues with the book...some editing issues early where the book jumped within scenes that was a bit distracting. Also, I had a few personal issues with Marc at the end when he is re-united with London, but overall, I would definitely recommend it. 

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Oh this does sound like a very good read! I like that the suspense part was good and mostly believable :)