Monday, April 25, 2011

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning


Title:   Beyond the Highland Mist
Author: Karen Marie Moning
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Highlanders #1
Main Characters: Hawk & Adrienne
Release Date: March 1999
ISBN978-0440234807 or 
0440234808
Publisher: Random House
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:


He would sell his warrior soul to possess her. . . .

An alluring laird...
He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart—until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length—but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

A prisoner in time...
She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side. . . .

My Review:
It started seemingly with a wish upon a falling star...
"What did you wish for Grimm?" Hawk ignored the warning with the devil-may-care attitude that was his wont where the lasses were concerned.


A slow smile slid over Grimm's face, "A lass who doesn't want you. A lovely, nay, an earth-shatteringly beautiful one, with with and wisdom to boot. One with a perfect face and a perfect body, and a perfect 'no' on her perfect lips for you, my oh-so-perfect friend. And I also wished to be allowed to watch the battle."


Hawk smiled smugly, "It will never happen."


Hawk has never had to work to get a woman's attention. Adrienne was deeply deceived by a gorgeous man so she doesn't trust any good-looking guy. Regardless, they are bother incredibly drawn to one another.


This is book #1 in this series and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if I would because it's been a long time since I have read and enjoyed historical fiction. Although this technically is a paranormal romance, the vast majority of the book takes place in Scotland during the 1500's. For me, I think that the difference is that Adrienne was from the present so her mindset was very modern.


This is a story propelled by the mis-communications, deceptions, and mis-directions of all the characters involved. For me, it really worked because I got so emotionally involved with what each of Adrienne and Hawk were feeling. You know how much they are really starting to care for each other so each time they hit a roadblock, it's emotionally devastating for you too.


As a reader, I also really enjoyed the storyline with Grimm, Hawk's friend that originally made the wish. He genuinely hurts and blames himself for the mental anguish that Hawk is feeling. You can't help but love him and I am excited that his book is next in the series.


This book has a bit of everything fun...broody/sexy hero, strong/independent heroine, danger (someone is trying to kill Adrienne,) fairies (to provide a bit of magic,) alternate suitors, loyal friends, intuitive gypsies, wonderful mother-in-law, evil king, and of course...love and romance with a gorgeous Happily-ever-after. 


This was an excellent 1st book, but from what I understand, each book in the series gets progressively better. It's going to be a great series!!

3 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I am excited for Grimm's story too! I fell in love with him during this book--such a good friend. You are right it is more of a Historical Romance with a bit of Paranormal thrown in!

Julie said...

I read this one and the next one. I liked the next one better...but I just couldn't stick with this series. I loved the writing and I love KMM, I just have so much trouble reading anything with a historical twist to it. I wish I knew why! It's annoying really...lol But as you said, I have heard that each book just gets better and better and that the first two books are in a whole different grouping than the next books.

Christi Snow said...

Well, I have read book 2 now (still need to write that review) and absolutely ADORED it!!

Looking at book 3's description, I can't even see how it relates to the first 2...

it seems like they get more paranormal as they go through the series rather than the heavy historical. But my basis of that is just observation since I have only read the first 2 and what I know from the Fever series where some of the highlanders make an appearance.
smiles!