Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper



Title:   The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf
Author: Molly Harper
My Rating: C+

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Naked Werewolf #2
Main Characters: Maggie Graham & Nick Thatcher
Release Date: March 2011
ISBN978-1439195871 or 
1439195870
Publisher: Pocket
Links to Purchase:
Amazon- $7.99
Borders- $7.99
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Baring It All
Generations of werewolves have been secretly residing in a secluded valley a stone’s throw from Grundy, Alaska. So when a snooping Outsider comes to Grundy to investigate rumors of lycanthropic shenanigans in the area, the valley’s pack alpha, Maggie Graham, resolves to chase him away, even if doing so takes a quick bite on the butt. What a pity that researcher Nick Thatcher turns out to be so drool-worthy, and that his kisses make Maggie want to sit up and beg. Maggie just can’t seem to convince Nick to leave . . . and even worse, she can’t convinceherself to stay away from him. Cross-species dating is problem enough for a harried alpha female, but on top of that, a rival group of werewolves is trying to move into the valley. With interpack war threatening, Maggie can’t afford to be distracted. Combining romance and a career can be tough for anyone; for a werewolf in love with a human, it may be disastrous. . . 

My Review:
Fortunately, this book was written with the same humor and wit that Molly Harper is known for writing. You all know that I love snark and this book is full of it. I love how Maggie interacts with both Nick (she is constantly giving him a hard time about his nerd-ish ways) and with Samson. I got more giggles out of Maggie's comments to Samson than I think anything else in the book.

Unfortunately, while this made the book fun to read, it was the only thing that seemed to hit the right note for me in this book. I loved Nick, but there just wasn't enough about his and Maggie's relationship. That part of the story line just seemed really jerky to me- not enough development, just all of a sudden...BAM, love without really seeing how they got there. Overall, the book covers about a year of time and huge chunks of months were simply skimmed over. For the nature of a growing relationship, that just didn't seem right to me.

There was a lot in this book about Maggie's role as the Alpha. While I understand that's a huge part of her life, I could have done with a whole lot less of that, if we could have had more of Nick and Maggie together.

I am sad that this book didn't quite live up to all that I had hoped, but I still think that Molly Harper has a great writing voice that I really enjoy reading, so I look forward to reading more of her books in the future...

5 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I loved Nick but it took to long for Maggie to be likable to me. I think it would have been better if she was more likable in the first book.

However, I did love the snark and humor. Plus, I love any book that gives me some more Samson LOL

Julie said...

Oh no...you didn't love it. But at least you liked it lol. You're right about the romance. There was a lot of "we spent lots of time together and I loved seeing him" and not a lot of specifics. I still LOVED Nick. He made this book yummy for me. :)

Christi Snow said...

Yes, Nick was definitely AWESOME and Felicia, I really like Samson too!!

Julie, you know it's okay that I didn't love it. I liked it enough to enjoy the read overall. I love Molly's sense of humor when she writes.

Thanks girls! smiles...

The Book Vixen said...

I've been wanting to read this series. I need to get my hands on the first book though :)

Christi Snow said...

Book Vixen, I thought that Book 1 was better than this one, but they are both cute. smiles....